12.10.2008

"I Only Liked It...So I Didn't Put A Ring On it" REPOST



Ok so this is a Repost of an email I received today from my boy Esquire. He points out a lot a key reasons why Miss Ex didn't receive her ring. I recently read a blog on this same song, sharing the same views (check out Trucee's Blog - loved the post!).


Fly Note: This piece is dedicated to every woman who takes Beyonce’s latest single “Single Ladies” literally. Please understand that her world does not provide a true depiction of every day life, so you have to view her songs purely for what they are … entertainment only.


Dear (Ex) Love,

We need to talk. Judging from the voicemail you just left me, I’m starting to believe that this Beyonce song, “Single Ladies…Put A Ring On It” has you confused about the true nature of our past and present relationship. When we decided to part ways, it was admittedly difficult for the both of us. I mean, let’s face it; all of the time and energy that we invested in our relationship made it hard to imagine life without you. In the end though, we both know that it was the right thing to do.


Did I miss you? Of course I did—which is why I let my emotions get the best of me when I saw you with that guy last night. I can own up to the fact that my behavior was wrong, but your response was way out of line. To suggest that I had no room to get angry because I never asked you to marry me … well that’s just ridiculous. But if you really want to play that game, then let me explain to you the real reasons that I never popped the question.


1. I will only place a ring on the finger of a woman that I deeply love and want to spend the rest of my life with. Unfortunately, you never crossed that threshold.


2. You never had a plan for your life. You were just content with us being together, which would be cool if we were 19 or 20, but we’re not—so that’s not.


3. We lived together, slept together, ate together. And after experiencing all of that, there was still something deep inside of me that wasn’t convinced that you were the one. The familiarity kept the relationship going, but it wasn’t enough to make me pull the trigger.


4. Your insecurities pushed me away. No matter how much I tried to love you, you never thought you were good enough, pretty enough, or smart enough for me. At first it was understandable, considering the tough relationship that you had just come out of. But three years later, we shouldn’t have been dealing with the same self-esteem issues that we faced on day one.


5. Your idea of marriage and family wasn’t a partnership, but a carefully laid out plan that you created—all on your own. I didn’t want to hear that “this is the way it’s going to be with my husband and my kids.” Over time, it became clear that you wanted a “yes man” instead of a partner, and I just wasn’t interested in that type of position.


So I guess with all of those reasons, what I’m really trying to say is: I ONLY liked it … and that’s why I didn’t put a ring on it. I hope I’ve made things clear.




I would like to know if all females agree with the words in Mrs. Carters #1 club banger or do you feel Miss Single Lady must not have been on her "A Game" in order to get that ring she so feels he should've put on her finger.





Miss Dior!!!

11 comments:

Vegas International said...

all his reasons are valid.

You women listen to this music and live a fantasy life sometimes and its sad but humorous. However, i wont go without sayin that some dudes do the same thing too thinking they are Jay-Z or Diddy.
but, we are throwin the women under the bus now, we can talk about the dudes later. lol

Stop being Teenagers influenced by bullshyt, now what your life entails and the paramiters it contains. Stop trying to live someone else's life. Because ...
you only know what you see, you dont understand what its takes to be them!

Beautifully.Conjured.Up said...

I never take these songs seriously...well, the rap songs with "bitches, hoes, sluts, etc." I do take seriously...that's why I don't listen to them.

I read the post, and agreed with everything he said...it made a lot of sense, and I hope women really looked into it.

About the song, I "agree" with the message...often men will leave you, then when you move on (with something better), he wants you back.

Fab4 said...

Yes ladies, Mr. International is right...Please act your age & realize these are just songs, not your ammunition to go out & start a full fledged war in your household. If you ain't on your game & want that ring, step up & handle ya shit!!!

BC - Your absolutely right!! It amazes me how these men get so uptight when they see us happy once everyone has moved on...WTF is up with that??? Get it together, its either ya with me or your not...Unfortunately for you boo, he has me & you'll just have to settle for your sloppy seconds you picked up on one of your whoring excursions, lmaooooooooo

Miss Dior!!

The FEATURE™ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The FEATURE™ said...

hahaha...funny thing is, I was having this same discussion with my homegirl today.

I agree with Vegas totally when he said, "women listen to this music and live a fantasy life." We'll leave that men comment alone for the next post; I'm sure it will come soon...lol.

Women do this every time they here a Beyoncé song. Remember "To the left, to the left"? I remember dudes used to get dissed left and right at Strata parties when that song came out. Now they trying to get you to "put a ring on it". I say, get your priorities straight and start acting like somebody's damn child and maybe, just maybe, you can find a decent dude that may want to put a damn ring on it.

Good one sis! Loving the new passion...Let's GO!!!

Fab4 said...

First of all - everyone made some valid points.

But the same way we drop it, pat it, pose for the camera, do the Naomi Cambpell walk or signal to the left when a Beyonce song comes on is the same exact way dudes brush their shoulders off, throw their "money" thisaway, thataway and oh let's not forget - take their "Louie/Gucci" rags and wave it around in the air ... in other words .. it's a song - only enetertainment! Oh I'm sorry - Vegas and Dre did say to leave dudes comments for a later time ... got a lil carried away - sorry.

Anyhow, back to the ladies. Yes, some women do take these songs to heart and make it so that it caters to their life. Sad.

I mean I'll bounce around & dance when the song comes on but I don't go around proclaiming that he should've put a ring on it...

BCU - I agree with the song to an extent too. Some dudes spaz when they see you with the new guy. I don't know, it might be me, but I don't take those words literally. I just assume it's her way of saying don't be upset that I've moved on...

Karrie

Anonymous said...

Just sounds like a cry me a river letter. Seems like brotherman just wanted to hurt her feelings because she hurt his..Plain and simple

Tamina said...

There's a lot of layers within this email I agree with Vegas on the aspect of fantasy- true to form Bey' had to work for her ring too it wasn't that easy. Any who dude is clear on what was necessary for him to make that decision or not- I agree with anonymous that he was a bit harsh especially with the 'i liked it part' (dang bruh ur salty)-but truth hurts. When we fall out with our past significant other(s)-its difficult to see them move on to happiness it goes both ways for women and men. So adding insult to injury doesn't help- the best bet is move on-beefin wen you see them and sending emails is kiddish-closure is closure.

U BRING ME JOI said...

i love all of those reasons and i can see men truly feeling like this.... shit at the end of the day i might of been thinking 'i only liked it too' lol

Peculiar Alex said...

FUNNNY THIS IS BECAUSE I JUST HAD A CONVO WITH A FELLOW FRIEND ABOUT THIS TOPIC. I PERSONALLY THINK INDIVIDUALS PUT TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON A MATERIAL... IM 22 & HAVE BEEN PROPOSED TO 3 TIMES & TWICE BY THE SAME GUY. THE RELATIONSHIP BEHIND IT MEANS SO MUCH MORE TO ME!!! I'LL GET MARRIED AND BE WITHOUT A RING IF I HAD TO EMBRACING HONEST JOY B4 I SETTLE FOR JUST BEING ABLE TO SAY I HAVE A RING WHILE ENDURING A BOUNDLESS RELATION... SOME PEOPLE CANT SEPARATE FANTASY FROM REALITY

Peculiar Alex said...

AND ANOTHER THING TSK TSK *giggle* MR. VEGAS I DON'T BELIEVE WOMEN R THEE ONLY 1S LIVING OFF OF LYRICS & WHAT THEY SEE VIA CELEBS WHAT ABOUT ALL THE MEN W/SWAGG ALL OF A SUDDEN, MUST HAVE LOUIS VUTTION SHOES, SCARFS, SKINNY JEANS (I REMEMBER WHEN GUYS GOT JOKED FOR WEARING TIGHT JEANS) AND ETC. [IM JUST SAYING]